Buyers Guide: Fuji Absolute
If you were looking for the oldest bike brands, it might surprise you to know that Fuji would be among them. Fuji Bicycles has been helping riders conquer their mountains since 1899, and to this day they’ve continued to develop some of the most cutting-edge bikes on the market. The Fuji stable of products is enormous, with everything from high-end road bikes, to race-winning mountain bikes, cruisers, comfort bikes and everything in between. Obviously that's too much to deal with in a single article, so in this series we'll break down Fuji's road line up to help you decide which machine is right for you.
The Fuji Absolute is a flatbar road bike that is among the most popular sold in the U.S. Thanks to its non-aggressive, easy riding style, it’s pretty much the perfect bike for cyclists who would rather see the sights and enjoy the ride in their everyday clothing than get all dressed up in lycra for a road ride. The Absolute is ideal for everything from urban commuting, to path and pavement riding, to charity rides and longer distance events.
The Absolute series of bikes all feature a durable and lightweight Fuji A2-SL custom butted alloy frame, with either a carbon fiber or a high tensile steel fork that helps absorb road noise and chatter, while increasing comfort. The flatbar setup gives the rider a more upright position for greater comfort and improved stability and visibility. Shimano shifting components are found on all the bikes, and deliver excellent performance in any riding conditions.
There are several different models of the Absolute to choose from, depending on your preferences, riding level, and budget. Fuji usually numbers their models beginning at either 1.0 or 1.1. The lower the number, the higher-end the bike. LE denotes a Limited Edition bike-- usually the result of a collaboration between Fuji and Performance Bicycles. Any model called “Stagger” indicated a bike with women’s-specific geometry.
- Absolute 1.3: This model is for the rider who demands high performance, but doesn’t want the discomfort of a dropbar race bike. It’s outfitted with a carbon fiber fork to drop some weight, as well as lightweight Shimano Sora and Tiagra 9-speed road components for flawless, exact shifting, ideal for fast-paced or long distance rides.
- Absolute 1.5 Stagger: This bike is ideal for women who want performance without sacrificing comfort. This bike features women’s-specific geometry for improved comfort while riding. It has a carbon fiber fork, and Shimano Acera 28-speed drivetrain for exact shifting performance.
- Absolute 2.1 & 2.1 Stagger: The Absolute 2.1 is ideal for the regular rider who’s looking for excellent performance at a great value. It’s available in both men’s and women’s models, and is equipped with a high tensile steel fork that gives you a silky smooth ride. Shimano 24-speed drivetrain gives you plenty of gearing for hills, thrills or Sunday coffee runs.
- Absolute 2.3 & 2.3 Stagger: This excellent entry-level bike is perfect for the occasional or weekend rider who wants to get out, get some exercise and have some fun. The durable aluminum frame is outfitted with a high tensile steel fork for comfort, and a 21-speed Shimano drivetrain that delivers outstanding performance with a minimum of maintenance.
For more information about Fuji's other road bikes, click on the links below.
- If you're looking for an all-around race machine, check out the Fuji Altamira.
- Like to go fast? Take a look at the Fuji SST.
- Like to go fast, but without sacrificing comfort? Then read up on the Fuji Gran Fondo.
- Looking to race on a budget, or just getting into road riding? The Fuji Roubaix is an excellent choice.
- If you’re more interested in the journey than in how fast you get there, the Fuji Sportif is tailor made for you.