Buyers Guide: Fuji Sportif
If you were looking for the oldest bike brands, it might surprise you to know that Fuji would be among them. Fuji Bicycles has been helping riders conquer their mountains since 1899, and to this day they’ve continued to develop some of the most cutting-edge bikes on the market. The Fuji stable of products is enormous, with everything from high-end road bikes, to race-winning mountain bikes, cruisers, comfort bikes and everything in between. Obviously that's too much to deal with in a single article, so in this series we'll break down Fuji's road line up to help you decide which machine is right for you.
The Fuji Sportif was created to meet the needs of the everyday road cyclist. The aluminum frame, upright geometry and easy handling make this bike ideal for an easier, longer style of riding.
Traditionally, Sportifs are non-competitive organized rides that don’t recognize winners, but celebrate the joys of the road. In America we now know these rides as gran fondos, but the tradition is an old one, and it demands a certain kind of bike. A bike just like the Fuji Sportif.
If you’re eager to discover the joys of the road, but don’t have much interest in racing, then the Fuji Sportif is for you. These bikes are built with the same high quality standards as the Roubaix, but with a more relaxed fit and geometry to suit riders who believe road rides are more about the journey than the suffering. Think of the as an aluminum version of the Fuji Grand Fondo. If you want it to go fast, it will, but this bike is more about staying fit and having fun.
There are several different models of the Sportif to choose from, depending on your preferences, riding level, and budget. Fuji usually numbers their models beginning at either 1.0 or 1.1. The lower the number, the higher-end the bike. LE denotes a Limited Edition bike-- usually the result of a collaboration between Fuji and Performance Bicycles. SL stands for Super Light, the lightest bike in Fuji's line-up for that particular year.
- Sportif 1.1 C: The Fuji Sportif 1.1 C road bike is ideal for a rider who likes to have high-end features, but doesn't need a full-on race bike. This bike features a lightweight alloy frame and Shimano Tiagra 10-speed shifting making it ideal for the long distance rider.
- Sportif 1.3 C: The Fuji Sportif 1.3 C is perfect for the rider looking to stay fit and have some fun. The high-performance alloy frame is equipped with Shimano Sora 9-speed components, plenty for seeing how far you can go.
- Sportif 1.7 C: The Fuji Sportif 1.7 C is the ideal bike for the entry-level rider, or a rider looking for an upgrade on a budget. The responsive, high performance alloy frame rides like a dream, and responsive, dependable Shimano components are deliver exceptional shifting performance.
For more information about Fuji's other road bikes, click on the links below.
- If you're looking for an all-around race machine, check out the Fuji Altamira.
- Like to go fast? Take a look at the Fuji SST.
- Like to go fast, but without sacrificing comfort? Then read up on the Fuji Gran Fondo.
- Looking to race on a budget, or just getting into road riding? The Fuji Roubaix is an excellent choice.
Bikes and Frames