How to Remove And Install Cartridge Bottom Brackets
Steps For Removal
- Remove the cranks. (Please see links below for this process)
- You will want to remove the adjustable cup on the non-drive side first. To do this, insert the bottom bracket tool. Holding the tool in one hand, use your wrench and pull toward the back wheel. (Counter clockwise) Once the cup is loose, unscrew the rest of the way by hand with the bottom bracket tool.
- Turn the bike around on the repair stand in order to have access to the drive side of the bottom bracket. Insert the bottom bracket tool and, using your wrench, turn toward the back of the bike. (This time in the clockwise direction) Once loose, unscrew the rest of the way by hand with the bottom bracket tool. The whole cartridge should come right out.
Steps For Installation
- First, lightly grease the threads on the inside of the bottom bracket.
- With the cartridge in hand, take note of the drive side. (This will typically be the fixed cup side and have writing on the cartridge to indicate the right and left sides.) From the drive side, carefully thread the cartridge into the bottom bracket by hand, using one hand on the non-drive side to keep the cartridge center while you thread with the other hand.
- When you are no longer able to grip the cartridge, use the bottom bracket tool to continue threading and once you reach a stopping point, use your wrench to further tighten the cartridge. Apply just enough force to ensure a snug fit. (The manufacturer should supply the proper torque specifications)
- Next we want to install the adjustable cup side of the bottom bracket so Rotate the bike back around so you have access to the non-drive side.
- Lightly apply some grease to the cup and thread the cup by hand by rotating the cup clockwise as far as you can go. Use your bottom bracket tool to continue tightening and finish off with your wrench to ensure a snug fit. With the proper torque your new bottom bracket should be ready to go.